Writer, Project Manager & Editor | Content & Product Strategy
I’m an award-winning editor, writer, and digital product manager with deep experience leading large teams for editorial, membership, and mission-based organizations.
I helped create or reinvent some of the largest news and current affairs websites in the $2B African American digital space: AOL Black Voices (#2 in the African American space during my tenure), Henry Louis Gates, Jr.’s Africana.com (the leading black commentary and opinion site during my tenure), and BlackPlanet.com (#1 in all US-based ethnic media during my tenure.) More recently, I completely rebuilt the web platforms of KCETLink (then the nation's largest independent public broadcaster), the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism's family of websites, and the California African American Museum.
My digital consultancy focuses on helping mission-based and editorial clients develop content management, online community, communications, SEO and storytelling strategies. My roster of current and past clients includes the USC Race and Equity Center, the ACLU of Southern California, NPR West, Bidoun Projects, the Clarion West Foundation and The Root.com.
I've worked (and continue to work) as a critic for national and international publications, including Artforum, The Village Voice, Vibe Magazine, and the National Magazine Award-nominated Bidoun.
What I will bring to your project:
- 15+ years of progressive managerial and product management experience
- Proven experience managing complex projects, large staffs, and 7-figure budgets
- A record of developing and implementing effective market solutions targeting diverse audiences
- Deep knowledge of current digital marketing and communications practice
- Success working with organizations in the midst of internal and external transitions
- A lifelong committement to building mission-based and service-minded products
- A deep bench of editorial, design and technical service providers